Tuesday, June 1, 2010

What happened to May ?




It is now June 1st, 2010. I have no idea what happened to May.
I did manage to get all of the projects complete that were on my list, with the exception of two. A tree that needs to be replaced and my front flowerbed that is in need of thinning, and mulch.
Both of these projects I hope to have complete by weeks end.
The tree is especially bothersome to me. It was a tree that I had planted in memory of a friend of mine that passed away a few years back. The tree was a pink dogwood. I must have planted it too deep, along with the heavy rains this past year and snow, my trees roots died.
I have been looking for weeks for a nice pink dogwood to replace it and have had no luck. I did however find an exceptional white dogwood and may settle for that one.
In May I encountered a set back when I got terribly sick with a case of E Coli that I contracted from a steak that I ate at a very popular restaurant. Finally after a short stay in the hospital I pulled through. I lost 11 work days to this steak. I have not had any beef since.
I am happy to announce that I did get 12 of my 15 gardens in top shape. I even installed brick stones around nearly all of the gardens. This should make weed eating much easier.The wisteria on the greenhouse looked amazing in May, even though the bulk of the blooms were on the inside of the greenhouse.

I even expanded the greenhouse front garden. I will post photos of all of the gardens very soon. Lucy my Komondor chewed my digital camera Sunday night while I was busy helping Mattie May ( my Great Pyrenees Friend) deliver her 10 puppies.
The next project (once the remaining two are complete) will be the expansion of the new Potager garden. I have decided to not use the garden in the back field for vegetables this year, but to move it back to the front by the barn.
My vegetable garden is far too pretty to hide, and it is much more convenient for us to pick just what we need when we need it.
We will be placing the sweetest picket fence around it, just like in the greenhouse garden. I am very excited about this garden, because we will be growing all of the vegetables we all love side by side with the most fragrant herbs and flowers.
The temperatures in Indiana this spring have been unbelievably warm. We have had days go up to 90 degrees already this year.
I decided to have my male Old English Sheepdog sheared all the way down. I chose to have him sheared because he likes to jump from lake to dirt, but also because it is mating season for him shortly and I need to be sure he can do the job.
I will be taking Liberty ( my Old Engish Sheepdog female) to be groomed tomorrow. I will not have her shaved like I did my male, but she will get a good hair cut.
The biggest barn news for June is that every bird on the farm wants to be a mom. Eggs are being laid about everywhere you look, and I have Silkies, Turkey and Barnevelders all setting. I expect turkey poults again in a little over a week.
We have several Barnevelder chicks in the brooder because when we had our large hatch it was too cold to ship. This just means that we will have juvenile Barnevelder for sale this summer. This should make a lot of people happy!
Now that May has passed, and I have no idea where it went so fast, I have my hands full of puppies and vegetable plants to put into the ground.
I cannot wait to see what June sends my way.

2 comments:

  1. You really get a LOT done in a month.....I wish I had half the energy! Looking forward to pictures, as you have a great looking place from the ones I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer - I have enjoyed your blog, I am friends with Matt and Angel Traylor and he told me about your site. Your gardens are beautiful!! I use to purchase your wreaths and decor and was wondering if there is a link to the company that you sold to? On another note, I use to own a Old English Sheepdog and she was a wonderful pet and friend. If I ever move back to the county I will def consider having another and will be in touch. Thanks for sharing. Cara Fox

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your comments and tips below! We love to hear from you here at Feathers and Fleece Farm!